Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Love?

Since I am getting to the age when I am starting to think about marriage, I started reading a book about preparing for marriage. And one of the things I am challenging myself to do as I read through this book, as part of my devotional time, is to look in the Bible and begin to understand what love really is.

Love is so misunderstood by our society. Honestly, I have found that I have fallen into this trap of love is a feeling, when it really is about a state of mind. We are told that love will fulfill all our needs, or that love is useless and stupid. But the reality is that love is a decision, it is not based on feeling. Granted, feelings can be part of what love is. But love should not be based solely on feelings.

According to 1 Corinthians 13, love is patient and kind. Love is never jealous, proud, boastful, rude, demanding of its way, irritable, etc. (To learn more, just read the passage. ;)

This type of love applies to all of our relationships... family relationships, friendships, and romantic relationships. Love is a decision to be patient and kind, not jealous, proud, rude, etc.

We as Christians have been given a high calling to live in love, all the time, with everyone we meet. (John 15:12) We are to be a living example; we are to live in love, showing love to others, just as Christ has showed love to us. Here is a question to reflect on... if we really loved others, genuinely, in real and perfect love, how many problems of our world would disappear?

ACTION
  • Be an example of love to those you meet.
  • Reflect on your understanding of love. Then think about what love really is, and study it.
  • Look up passages of Scripture that talk about love, and its real meaning.


No comments:

Post a Comment