Monday, February 25, 2013

Jealousy

     Jealousy. We all experience it at some time or other. I figured out the other day; well, a few weeks ago now I guess, that the suffix of the word jealousy is lousy. Strange, huh? Could whoever have come up with this word been on to something?
     How does jealousy make you feel? I know how it makes me feel-- angry, hurt, unjust. So, why do I let it get to me? The answer lies in that I am human, just as much as you are. We allow our sinful desires and actions to get the best of us. It doesn't make sense why we allow it, because we see what it does to other people. It is much harder to see faults in others than ourselves. That is just a fact of life, sadly.
     What does the Bible say about jealousy? Well, James 3:16 says this: "Whenever people are jealous or selfish, they cause trouble and do all sorts of cruel things." (CEV version)
      I don't know what this leads you to think, but it leads me to this; jealousy is selfishness in disguise. Now, that may or may not be a big revelation to you, but it may be too. I don't know; Jesus does though.
     Think about it this way; selfishness, obviously, causes jealousy. We are upset because someone has what we don't. So we become jealous and envious of them, which won't help us in the long run; it could damage our relationship with God and with close friends and family members. If we don't take control of it, it could grow from covetousness to resentment of a person or thing-- or worse, even God!!
     God commands us in Exodus 20: 17 to not want anthing that belongs to someone else-- not to covet what they have. Proverbs 3:31 has another great saying. I'll type it out for you: "Don't be jealous of men who who use violence. And don't choose to be like them."
     There are stories in the Bible about people who were jealous and where it led them. Haman, in the book of Esther, is one example. Satan was cast out of heaven because of his hate and jealousy. That story is in Ezekiel 28, in case you want to check it out.
     In the end, we need to learn to be content with what we have, material wise. Wanting to grow spiritually is something everyone should have an innate desire for. I have other verses posted below that you can look up and read for yourself. Have a great evening, and may God bless you this week.
Proverbs 23:17
1 Corinthians 13

No comments:

Post a Comment